“LET US KEEP ANTIQUE UNSPOILED FOR OUR FUTURE GENERATIONS”
A Public Pronouncement of
SP Member EGIDIO P. ELIO, M.D.
Jointly with Sangguniang Panlalawigan Members
DANTE M. BERIONG, PLARIDEL E. SANCHEZ VI & CALIXTO G. ZALDIVAR III
We are aware that mining offers certain economic benefits such as short-term employment, increased exports, potential tax revenues, and huge gains for the mining companies. But these will not make our province rich or free our people from want and poverty.
On the other hand, we are concerned that mining could result to, among others:
- Displacement of long-term livelihood in agriculture, fisheries and tourism
- Damage to biodiversity, endemism, land and marine resources
- Accidents, floods, landslides and effects of induced seismic activity
- Social destabilization of communities
- Environmental pollution and risks to health
Our grandfathers took care of our land that we may inherit it pristine and beautiful as it is today. We commit to protect and keep it pure and unspoiled for our future generations.
We pledge to save Antique from destruction of mining.
We join our people in their plea: NO TO MINING IN ANTIQUE!